February 2008


Well, I found another knitting project to embark on.  I have started a chevron scarf from Joelle Hoverson’s Last Minute Knitted Gifts So far this is a super simple project.  I have been eyeballing this project for a while and just happened upon my ideal color scheme.

I chose Socks that Rock Yarn in medium weight from my stash in the Lagoon and Algae colorways and away I went.

Here a couple pictures of my scarf thus far.

 IMG_0168

IMG_0170

I’m very much liking this color combination.  I was really wondering what I was going to use for this one, but seeing those two colors next to each other really jumped out at me.  I wanted something a little more subtle than some of the other versions I have seen.  I think this one will be for me, unless one of my family members really just decides that they must have it.  Now I will just have to order another skein of the algae colorway, since I had bought it for a different project.

Happy knitting 🙂

I had a few questions come up about this, so I thought I would address it.  The original Lizard Ridge pattern did not call for a backing.  The blanket was just supposed to be seamed.  After looking at the back of the blanket, I didn’t care for the look of the seaming and garter stitch fabric on the back.  I just really prefer a more finished look, especially for the amount of time and money spent on this piece.

IMG_0166

 First of all the choice of fabric to back the blanket is extremely important.  I chose a light weight polar fleece, because it had similar degree of stretch as the knitted blanket did.  Also, fleece is 60″ wide and the blanket was 54″.  I wanted to make sure that I didn’t have to piece the back side to make something big enough. 

 Had I chosen a woven (non-stretchy) fabric I would have had a miserable time trying to match up the the edges because the knit fabric would stretch out.  I layed the fleece out on the floor, making sure that it was particularly smooth, if just slightly stretched.  I layed the blanket on top of the fleece, and smoothed it and stretched it taught.  I trimmed the excess fleece away making two matching layers. 

After getting my two layers set.  I took large safety pins and pinned through both layers of fabric at the corner of each square to keep things from shifting around.  I took the yarn that I intended to use as edging and also used it to whip stitch each layer together.  I kept the stitches approximately 1/4″ apart.  The most difficult part of this was getting the yarn through the very tight weave of the polar fleece.  In order to get the needle through the fleece easier I used a rubber jar lid gripper to get a good grip on the needle.

IMG_0165

In the pictures you can also see that I tied the blanket, rather like a quilt.  I tied through to the back of the blanket so I wouldn’t have visible ties on front.   Each tie is at the corner of each square, and trimmed to about a 1/2 inch on the back of the blanket.  The tie is hidden on the front, so it doesn’t distract.

IMG_0164

In order to pick up the stitches for the crochet border I used the whip stitching as a guideline to pick them up evenly.

If there are anymore questions on backing, please let me know.  I will be happy to answer any additional questions.

After a years worth of work, a lot money the Lizard Ridge is finally finished.  I absolutely love how it turned out. 

 I did end up backing it.  I found a lightweight polar fleece that matched the edging yarn exactly and stitched it to the back.  I chose fleece because the stretch was similar to the stretch of the knitted fabric.  Sewing together two different fabrics with different degrees of stretch is a real mess, but because these were so similar, I just slapped one on top of the other and whip stitched around the edge.  The beauty of this is that the whip stitching is completely hidden on the front by the crocheted edging.  I did end up tieing it as you would a quilt, but I tied it on the back rather than the front. 

 Without further ado, here are pictures of the finished blanket.Finished at last

Super Cuddly

Lizard Ridge

Pretty Colors

~Finally Finished~