I have finished another sample for work.  This one was a request from my co-workers, definitley not something I would normally choose to undertake on my own. 

While the disco look certainly isn’t my style, its a style that could be adapted in many types of fabric in the other pattern views to meet most lifestyle clothing requirements.   I have been disappointed in the last 5 years or so in the patterns available for pre-teens and young teens.  Most pattern books trend towards the early elementary school set then jump straight to older teen looks with an emphasis on prom dresses.  It can be frustrating finding patterns that are tasteful and age appropriate for that middle group.

This Hannah Montana pattern from Simplicity was chosen.

untitled

I made the version that the live model is wearing, in a similar fabric seen under the trade name of confetti dot.  I wanted something similar enough to the pattern that would attract the little girls.  It did turn out very cutely:

IMG_0229

Despite the fact that this is pretty see-through, I think this could make a very cute little outfit for a pre-teen girl.  Put a little pink tank top underneath, and wear it with a cute little pair of jeans jazzed up with some pink rhinestones or other embellishment.

The only specific difficulty I had with the pattern was applying the bias neckline binding.  The fabric did not have a terribly high degree of stretch, so getting the bias stretched around the neck was difficult, and caused the fabric to pull and start raveling.  Because of the raveling issue, I would reccomend anyone trying this pattern at home, cut out a wider neck binding.  If there is too much extra once its applied, it is simple to trim shorter.  But that would certainly alleviate the issues I had. 

The sleeves are really the main feature of this garment.  They are self lined for a cleaner look.  The pattern instructions were reasonable clear and illustrated everything well.  I think they really do make the pattern in this case. 

I used my serger to clean finish the inside seams.  This is particularly important since the fabric was fairly translucent.  I just did a very narrow three thread serged hem stitch.  Alternatively, one could increase the width of the seam allowances and do french seams….but that seemed like it would add too much bulk with the metallic dots on the fabric.

The only place I made any major deviations from the pattern was to do a rolled hem on the bottom.  Since I couldn’t really press confetti dot to make a nice hemline, that seemed the best alternative.  I really can see a difference that pressing makes in how a garment hangs…..if this had been pressed the handkerchief hem would certainly be more visible…..but I am ulitimately happy enough with how this came out.

Here is a view of the sleeve stretched out a bit more to show the construction:

IMG_0231

Advertisements