February 2009

So I have another post for you today. I have the sewing mojo back, finally, and have been cranking out projects. This little number is for a booth sample at the Sewing Expo in Puyallup, WA at the end of February. I won’t mention what booth it will be in, but keep an eye out and you should spot it at a busy booth!


The dress pattern is from Portabello Pixie’s Claire pattern. It’s the Round Apron Dress. The fabric is a newer fairy fabric that my employer carries. We have been selling out of it like crazy, and I just managed to snag enough to complete this little dress.

I must say, after making the pattern up, I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pattern and instructions. The actual pattern pieces themselves are commercially printed on tissue. I noticed no errors, and all the pieces fit together beautifully. The instructions were included in a little book, and the author really took the time to lay them out well. She devoted a section at the back of the instructions devoted to tips and tricks for the more complicated aspects of the techniques required to complete the 4 versions of dresses included in the pattern. While, I wouldn’t recommend this as a first sewing project for someone, the pattern was definitely easy to follow with lots of easy to understand instructions. Pair all of this up with a liberal copyright policy (the author allows folks to make up garments for resale using her pattern, provided its not an assembly line) and you have a great pattern.

I was really pleasantly surprised over the success with this, since I have had some bad experiences with badly drafted independent patterns. The photographed dresses on the pattern are definitely not to my taste (to patchworky) but I think this turned out pretty cute for a little kid.


Since I don’t have an embroidery machine, one of my coworkers did the little flower motif on the apron for me. Turned out cute didn’t it !


Hello everyone, I have continued on with the theme of stashbusting for this post!

I have used a piece of the jersey knit that I picked up on my travels to San Diego this summer. I have to say, I am so pleased with this pattern. Kwik Sew 3616 has been a fun one to work with. It is a Misses size, but I was able to enlarge it to a plus size using my tee-shirt sloper that my mom and I have developed.

Here are my results :




The top is definitely quite low cut, so I use a cami to layer underneath so I don’t scare off small children (or scandalize my family). The layered look is actually fairly current fashion-wise anyway. It also adds a little contrast and extra color to the look.

Despite this being a poly jersey, its a breathable breezy summer top. However, I wear summer tops just about year round anyway since I generally get fairly warm hefting heavy bolts of fabric around.

The new dress form is courtesy of my mother in law who gave it to me while I was visiting this summer. Mr. Nemesis and I managed to get it wedged into the car along with all other Southern California booty. I have named her, since I understand all dress forms should have a name. I’ll admit it, its campy and cheesy….but Hellga (after my favorite American Gladiator). I loved that show as a kid when it first came out, and have enjoyed it again when it was revived last year. I don’t know if the dress-form is a Wolf form or not, it’s only labels are from Acme. It is however a plus size collapsibe form in the style of a Wolf form……so I am beyond thrilled to get it. I did have to do a little padding though.

In the first picture above, I gave Hellga a boob job. Or rather padded her up with one of my foundation garments and stuffed with a couple pair of socks to fill her out to my more robust proportions. The bottom picture is without the padding. I still need to adjust the padding a bit more….there is a bit of discrepancy with the chest being off-center.