Well I guess Amy Butler improves a bit upon reflection.  I made up another of her patterns, the Kimberly bag as another store sample for my employer. 

Here is the pattern cover and made up sample from the pattern.  As is normal for me, I really dislike the fabric choices for the bag.  I find the floral prints she uses are really not to my taste, and really cause the patterns to look like they were made for someone 3 times my age.


                  Pattern Cover                                          Pattern Sample

This was a significantly easier pattern to manage than the Weekender.  There was no piping to fight, and there was hardly any Timtex.

The supply list for this project included:

Exterior fabric, lining fabric, thread, zipper, small peice of timtext for base, and fusible interfacing.  I chose a home decorator faux suede in lime green, and another Alexander Henry home decorator weight cotton in white and lime.  I lucked out and found a matching zipper in our “Make a Zipper” zipper by the yard selections.


I still have the same complaint as before as far as the quality of instructions.  The pattern instructions are still overly verbose, but knowing the issues, I just went through them ahead of time with a highliter and marked the critical parts.

This was a super fast bag to make.  It only took about 5 hours from cutting out to finish.  I did do a little additional trimming of bulk that wasn’t called for in the original pattern instructions.  But everything else worked out nicely this time.  The larger challenge for me, was doing all of the construction without pins.  This is the first time that I have worked with sueded fabric, and I had noticed as I was laying it out to cut out, that pin holes were showing somewhat.  So I broke out the trusty binder clips that I used while making the weekender, and they worked fine.


Finshed Bag

While I think the bag turned out nicely.  I was not very happy with the scale of it.  Once finished it is so long and squatty that it looks like a loaf of french bread.  I like the overall shape, but it either needs to be shorter in length or taller in height to be a good scale for me.  At the moment, its not a really good size for me.  Despite carrying a rather smallish purse myself, this really is so short that my wallet wouldn’t really fit in here, and with the length of the bag, all my stuff would slide forward or back and cause it to look lumpy.  A scarf or tassel might help the scale a bit, but at the moment my fellow staff members at work have been teasing me about it being a case for a lady’s pool cue. 🙂


Needless to say, despite my issues with the scale of the bag.  I still liked how it turned out.  There are definite possibilities for this bag, and it wouldn’t be to challenging to remake this pattern to better fit me.  I liked how easy to construct it was, and a different fabric choice would let me use pins, which would really make this quicker.  While I still wouldn’t call this an absolute beginner pattern, it is simple enough for someone with a few sewing projects under their belt, and is a good introduction to putting in a simple zipper.